I do a performance benchmark with a function that takes a lot of CPU time in my game which is a Trilinear interpolation function. This is used while generating voxel world.
Results (x86) for a 256x256x256 voxels array on Core I7 at 3.60 Ghz :
- BlitzMax (GCC -O3 optimization) -> 112 ms
- C++ (VS2015) -> 203 ms
- C# .Net Native -> 203 ms
- BlitzMax (GCC -O2 optimization) -> 215 ms
- C# .NetCore v1.0 RC2 -> 281 ms
- C# .NetFramework v4.6.1 -> 422 ms
- C# Mono 4.4 (-O=All) -> 625 ms
Results (ARM) for a 256x256x256 voxels array on Raspberry Pi 2 :
- C++ (GCC -O3 optimization) -> 2762 ms
- C# Mono 4.6.1 (-O=all -O=float32) -> 10702 ms
.Net Native for windows universal application is as fast as C++ and OpenSource .NetCore is very promising…
GCC is faster than MS compiler for my bench, good news for BlitzMax.